HR Leader Spotlight

Please tell our members who you are?

My name is Nichole McGill-Higgins | Independent Consultant at Changez.Life|

What lessons would you say 2020 taught you?

• That my passion is stronger than my fear. Working at the CIPD, I became the Co-Chair for Embrace (race equality staff network) this was a game changer for me. My passion for race equality was truly ignited even more. However this meant being at the forefront and speaking publicly which petrified me. Hence my passion is now stronger than my fear!
  • Self-reflection for me, I have found this to be quite profound especially in the work that I am involved in which is fostering and navigating difficult conversations around race & anti-racism (delivering coaching/training/workshops and keynote public speaking).  Being black and female does not necessarily mean this topic is easy or even comfortable but I know I still have to step into that brave space. Self-reflection for me allows me become a better version of myself and in turn allows me to be even more authentic with my audience.
  • The importance of showing up, speaking up and being relentless in pushing the agenda to end racism and discrimination on a whole

We are now in the first quarter of 2021, what do you hope for this year?

I would like to see business and personal growth, educating as many people and organisations around the work that I do. In addition, as a newly appointed Board of Directors for the Rape Crisis Centre, I want to continue to elevate the voices of the voiceless and build more awareness around sexual violence against women and girls.

What are you most proud of in your career to date?

The ‘End Racism at Work’ project that I did at the CIPD; this was a fantastic piece of work and I am really proud of my involvement and influence in the race agenda as a whole.

As the Co-Chair for the Race Equality staff network at the CIPD and the huge impact we have made. I also won the National Mentor of the Year Award 2019 and Campaigner of the Year Award 2020 (Baton Award) for my campaigning in the racial equality space. Now I am an independent consultant in the diversity, inclusion and belonging space.

What advice would you give to a young professional starting a career in HR?

• Be true to yourself (as in be you)
  • Finding your tribe (finding likeminded people you can grow with. Who you can share resources with etc)
  • Be empathic
  • Be interested in people beyond the surface ( their identity, circumstances, culture and backgrounds)
  • Challenge the status quo

What is your wisdom to go to quote?

Here are three good ones:

Only a fool criticises unfinished work~Maverick HIggins~

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind”

“More connects us than seperate us. In times of crisis, the wise build bridges while the foolish build barriers”King Tchalla

What activities do you do to relax in your free time?

• Yoga
  • Long walks, and where possible leafy green parks where I can hug trees 😊
  • Watching Disney movies I am obsessed with Disney

How can our members connect with you?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicholemcgillhiggins/

www.changez.life

Comments
Comments are closed.