HR Leader Spotlight

Please tell us your name, job title and place of work?
Veretta Yancey, Principal Consultant, Mann HR Consultant Group

How would you describe your career?

I’ve been fortunate enough to grow in various roles with both large and small, well known organizations. It has afforded me the opportunity to learn best in class processes and practices and apply them in a consulting role

What would you say are the 3 key strategies organisation should focus on in 2021 to support their workforce?

• Living the organization’s values
  • Building trust
  • Communicating throughout all levels of the organization

What would you say are the key skills required to be a true leader?

• transparency
  • meritocracy
  • mastering situational leadership

What are you most proud of in your career to date?

I am proud that I’m seen as a valued resource from my peers as I offer a well-balanced perspective. They were impressed with the big IDEAS methodology I created to include accessibility and service. Also, I am proud to know that leaders request that I attend meetings because they value my contributions, as well.

What would you like to see organisations do more of to promote Diversity & Inclusion?

I would like for organizations to look at the US Census in the areas they are working and establish SMART goals to include members of the diverse communities (race, disabled, veterans, etc.) in all levels of the organization

• Provide leadership training at the hiring manager level that includes “right fit” versus “best fit”. When leaders look at the skills and competencies that are missing from their teams, they often find those in diverse candidates. When leaders are looking for best fit, they often are looking for a team of the same type of candidate, like a ball team with all
    players playing the same position.
  • Create a succession plan for minorities and understand that there is a difference between minorities who chose to come to the US versus those who were brought to this country to be slaves.
  • Provide a safe place for diversity of thought and a different way of doing things. Recognizing that people with diverse backgrounds may bring different experiences from their education, to their locations, or their work ethic. Look for ways to be inclusive of people who are different.
  • Consider putting a task force together of diverse employees to revigorated a failing business unit, solve a problem or investigate a situation. Provide the funding and timing and sit back to see how they increase the bottom line.
  • Be clear about your tolerance initiatives and what happens when a rule is violated.
  • Use the employee resource groups to provide feedback and guidance, recognizing that many employees may be afraid to share authentically because of perceived retaliation.
  • Hire a consultant to help in this space. Companies should not take the limited diverse resources in HR to implement programs. No one wins in this scenario.

How do you relax in your free time?

I play video games, exercise and watch sports. I love to spend time with family and friends.

What advice would you give to a young professional starting a career in HR?

I would advise a young professional or one who is transitioning into HR is that this space is very subjective. Outside of the law and guidelines, much of the decisions are made on experience and information you have at the time. It is not as exact as an operational role where success can be measured counting the number of products you sell. HR roles are
more like ice skating or gymnastics. Your success has more to do with whether you can build relationship and influence those who are more senior and do not report to you.

What are your wise words in business?

“Every day is a better day”. For me, each day provides a fresh start to improve a process, solve a problem and support the belief that HR
is more than just a shared service. We’re a valuable partner to the business and partnering with them will ensure success in your role.

How can our members connect with you?

info@mannhrcg.com

Comments
Comments are closed.