BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Please tell us your name, job title and place of work?

● Name: Lynese C. Rawlins
● Title: Director, HRBP
● Company: Studs

What would you say it means to be Black and working in HR?

● To me, being Black and working in HR is an embodiment of resilience, advocacy, and an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It’s navigating a professional landscape while carrying the weight of historical and contemporary disparities, yet using that weight as fuel to drive change and progress.

● Being Black in HR means understanding the unique experiences, challenges, and aspirations of a diverse workforce. It’s about representing the underrepresented, creating safe spaces for dialogue, and pushing for policies that promote fairness and eradicate biases.

How Important do you think mentoring is, in HR?

● Mentoring in HR holds profound importance as it forms the bedrock of personal and professional growth within the industry. At its core, mentoring transcends being a mere guidance mechanism; it’s a compassionate investment in the potential and well-being of individuals, profoundly impacting both mentees and mentors.

● In the realm of HR, where nurturing talent and fostering an environment of continuous learning are pivotal, mentoring becomes a transformative force. It’s a conduit for passing down knowledge, experiences, and wisdom, shaping the next generation of HR professionals.

● Mentoring is vital for career development, providing a safe space for mentees to seek advice, discuss challenges, and explore opportunities. The guidance of a mentor can significantly shorten the learning curve, helping mentees make informed decisions, avoid common pitfalls, and navigate complex HR landscapes.

In your opinion, what are the key skills required to be a trusted leader?

● To be a trusted leader, one must embrace a profound blend of skills that extend beyond the realms of competency and expertise. A trusted leader embodies integrity, empathy, resilience, and a genuine passion for the growth and well-being of their team and organization.

● Here are some other key terms that I believe embodies a trusted leader: ○ Integrity and Authenticity, Empathy and Compassion, Excellent Communication, Vision and Strategic Thinking, Adaptability and Resilience, Decision-Making and Accountability, Conflict Resolution, Inspiration and Motivation, Team Building and Collaboration, Confidence
and Humility.

This year’s BHM UK 2023 is about celebrating & embracing our sisters – who would you like to celebrate today?

I would like to celebrate my amazing mentee, Theresa Aristomene!

One piece of advice to a young Black professional venturing into the HR Profession??

● First and foremost, I want to affirm your strength, resilience, and the incredible value you bring to the world of HR. As you step into this dynamic field, filled with opportunities and challenges, remember that you are a beacon of change, diversity, and progress.

● My advice to you is this: embrace your unique narrative, for it is your greatest strength. Your experiences, struggles, and triumphs have shaped you into a compassionate and understanding individual. Your perspective as a Black professional is invaluable in HR—embrace it, own it, and let it guide you.

● In every room, every meeting, and every decision you make, bring your authentic self to the forefront. Advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion, not just in words but in actions. Seek out mentors and allies who recognize and celebrate your potential. Surround yourself with a supportive network that uplifts you, provides guidance, and believes in your capabilities. And as you progress in your career, extend that mentorship to others who aspire to follow in your footsteps.

● Additionally, never stop learning. Remember, you are a trailblazer, paving the way for future generations. Your resilience, determination, and dedication will carve out new paths and shatter barriers. Embrace your journey, for you are destined for greatness.

● Above all, believe in yourself, with unwavering support and encouragement!

● A fellow Black HR professional

How can our members connect with you?

● Instagram: @Lynese

● LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lyneserawlins/