BLACK HISTORY MONTH KYMBERLI

Please tell us your name, job title and place of work??
Kymberli Ma’at Roberts, Owner, The Journey Doula & HR Manager, Arcus Foundation

What would you say it means to be Black and working in HR?
To be Black and working in HR means you connect to a deeper level the importance of centering humans. Marginalised groups often feel first hand, the weight when there are existing gaps tied to equity and inclusion.

We have been excluded from and have hard to work often times harder to prove our value. To be Black and in HR means I get to have a seat at the proverbial table to impact change for the now and future generations.

To shed light on issues from a lived perspective that may not have otherwise been considered. It’s a privilege because we are unfortunately afforded an insiders scoop to the information and experiences that have served as barriers thus amplifying the need for the work we do.

How Important do you think mentoring is, in the HR?
Mentoring is incredibly important for knowledge share and to help bridge the succession gaps. By pouring into and helping to support and shape others, we become a strong community advocating and working towards true impactful change.

In your opinion, what are the key skills required to be a trusted leader?
Trusted leaders must first inner-stand the importance of serving. Serving a greater goal, purpose or people. This serving mentality allows you to invest in working hard for something greater than yourself. They must also possess the skill of strategy.

Knowing how to create a plan that will serve the end goal in a way that makes sense beyond today. They must also
innately be intentional. Intentionality will drive how to operate in their roles remaining aware of the impact of their choices and operating in a way that not only sets an example for others, but displays integrity, ethics and honesty and transparency.

This year’s BHM UK 2023 is about celebrating & embracing our sisters – who would you like to celebrate today? I celebrate my mentee. Tamika Hayes. Since we started our partnership, there has been continuous growth and expansion in various layers. She continues to navigate ever-shifting change, keeping her eyes focused on goals while remaining open to where the future may unexpectedly lead.

One advice to a young Black professional venturing into the HR Profession??
Establish strong boundaries that protect not only yourself but close relationships. In this profession you will become in many ways a vault of secrets that must be protected. You will also have to make tough decisions. Sometimes your tough decisions will be based on the secrets you become privy to, which can weigh on you and impact your relationships both professional and personal. By establishing boundaries, you allow yourself to show up fully in each moment based on what the moment requires without continuously carrying the weight with you, sacrificing your values or risking the integrity of others.

How can our members connect with you?
I value genuine connection and invite others into building strong bonds and partnerships. I can be reached for business needs via my booking page at: https://calendly.com/thejourneydoula or for other inquiries via
email at kymberlimaat@gmail.com or LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/kymberli-roberts-shrmcp/.