Poitier with ❤️

Sidney Poitier, in one of his books, Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great Grand Daughter, said “a tiny bit of myself is lost when my friends are gone. A tiny bit of myself was lost when my brothers, all but one, passed away”. As we pay tribute to the late Iconic movie star, we can say that a bit of Hollywood is lost due to his death.

Poiter, being the first black man to win an Oscar was a trail blazer and a believable reference of hope to all black actors. 

In New York City, he applied to the American Negro Theatre, but he was rejected because of his accent. Instead of giving up, he spent several months practicing American enunciation. Then he applied again and was accepted in 1946, he made his Broadway debut in “Lysistrata.”

Imagine if Sidney chose not to improve his skills when he was rejected, he would have missed out on being a pace setter and a role model to many. Also, imagine if he was accepted with his poor skills, he probably would not have gone far enough in the movie industry and become a lifetime role model. His story teaches us that rejection is never the end, it’s an opportunity to make ourselves more suitable for the big changes and achievements we aim for.

Success comes with its challenges but when rejection comes, learn from it and continue to give your GOALS the best that you can.

Written by Adese Okojie CEO & Founder

Comments
Comments are closed.